Immunizations/Avoid a Hold on Your Registration

A hold will be placed on your ability to register for classes unless the health center has copies of your immunization records. Please note that, even if you gave them to Admissions as part of your transcripts, you still need to file them with the health center.

Immunization Requirements

The California State University has the following requirements:

Measles and Rubella (All students born on or after January 1, 1957)

Full immunization means two doses of measles/rubella vaccine received after one year of age. Usually these immunizations are combined into one injection (MMR-Measles/Mumps/Rubella or MR-Measles/ Rubella). If you cannot locate records of both doses, please discuss it with the health center staff.

Hepatitis B (applies to students who are 18 or younger on 1st day of classes)

All students who are 18 years of age or younger on the first day of classes of their first semester must be immunized against Hepatitis B. The Hepatitis B vaccine is given in three doses over a period of 4-6 months. The Hepatitis B vaccine series can be obtained at the Student Health Center for a fee.

Meningitis Vaccine - not required, but highly recommended prior to living in the residence halls.

Varicella Vaccine - not required, but a second dose of chicken pox vaccine is highly recommended for those who have had one dose of vaccine and have not had chicken pox disease.

Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, adult Pertussis) - not required, but students are urged to get this vaccine when their next tetanus shot is due in order to boost immunity to Pertussis (whooping cough).


How to Submit Immunization Records

This is a two-step process. You must complete the immunization form through the Secure Message Portal AND upload a copy of your immunizations.

 Fill out the Immunization Form through the Secure Message Portal*

(*Please note: the Health Center's Secure Message Portal is not to be confused with the Campus Portal - these are two separate systems.)

Click on Secure Message Portal and follow these directions to register:

Note: your username is your assigned HSU Student ID number.

Once you have registered for classes, you will receive an email via your email (note to students: you must use your assigned email address to utilize the Secure Message Portal) notifying you of your successful secure message portal registration for the health center. Along with it will be a temporary password to access your secure messages. You may now sign on to the Health Center's "Secure Message Portal" using your Student ID number and the assigned password. You can change your assigned password at any time.

When you access the secure message site, there will be a required form for you to fill out called “Immunizations.” Please fill this out and click Submit. You will also need to UPLOAD an imange of your immunizations to the portal. Click the document upload tab to upload the file. BOTH THE IMMUNIZATION FORM AND DOCUMENT UPLOAD WILL NEED TO BE COMPLETED IN ORDER TO AVIOD A HOLD ON YOUR ACCOUNT.

If you are having problems, please call 707-826-3146 or send an email to with your questions.

 If you are not able to upload your immunization then fax, drop off, or mail a copy of your immunization records to the Student Health Center for  authentication. 

Health Center Immunization Form
Student Health Center
Humboldt State University
1 Harpst Street
Arcata, CA 95521

Fax  (707) 826-5042


We strongly recommend that you comply with the requirements before coming to HSU. However, if you cannot locate immunization records, or cannot obtain the required immunizations before coming to HSU, the Health Center offers immunization clinics. 

IMPORTANT: You will be allowed to register and attend your first semester; however, if these requirements are not satisfied before it is time for you to register for your second semester, a registration HOLD will be placed on your account and removed only after the records are received.

If you have questions, please contact us at (707) 826-3146.

NEW! The Public Health Department of Humboldt County is now providing low cost immunizations for adults that are either uninsured or underinsured with their VFA program (vaccines for adults). Potential recipients are required to fill out a screening form to assess eligibility. Under the VFA program the following vaccines are available for $17 per dose (verify updated cost yourself): HPV, MMR, Tdap, and Varicella.

For adults with MediCal or Partnership Health in Humboldt County, Public Health will now bill their insurance (they don’t bill any other kind of insurance).

Immunization hours Public Health Department: Mon, Wed & Fri by appointment only.

The Public Health Department of Humboldt County, Eureka
Phone: 707-268-2108


Travel Immunizations

Please visit the CDC travel website for information on recommended immunizations & travel medications for the country you plan to visit. The SHC is available to give some immunizations, however, if medications or completion of forms are required, you will need to contact the Humboldt County Public Health Department or a local medical provider for assistance.

More information: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

Student Health Center Supports Vaccines

The Student Health Center Staff encourage you to consider this important article funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

Frequently Asked Questions about Immunizations/Holds on Registration

Why do I have a hold on my registration?

If you do not provide your immunization records in the 2 step process described above, you will be allowed to register and attend your first semester; however, a registration HOLD will be placed on your account if these records are not received before it is time for you to register for your second semester. The registration HOLD will be removed only after the records are received at the Student Health Center. If you have questions, please contact us at (707) 826-3146.


What if I can’t find my immunization records?

If you can’t find your immunization records, you can do any of the following:

  • Obtain a blood test (titer) to show that you are immune to Measles, Rubella, and Hep B. You can get a titer at the Student Health Center for a small fee.
  • Complete an immunization waiver. 
    IMPORTANT NOTICE! If a measles or mumps outbreak should occur on campus, students who lack verification of MMR immunity (including those who have waived vaccination) may be asked to remain off campus until the outbreak is declared over by campus health officials. This could take up to several weeks.



Where can I get vaccinations?

How do I check to see if my records have been received?

If you have mailed or faxed your records in, please allow 2 weeks for processing and it will be marked as complete. If you use the quick online method available at to enter your dates AND upload a copy of your form as instructed, the requirement should be marked complete and
any holds removed overnight (within 1 business day); depending on the method, you can check your task list to see if the item has been marked complete after the time has elapsed, and if it still appears contact the Health Center by calling (707) 826-3146 or emailing