Emergencies & After-Hours Care

Life-threatening Emergency: Medical or Mental Health

Call 911 or go to the nearest Emergency Department:

Mad River Community Hospital

(707) 822-3621 [how do I get there?]

St. Joseph Hospital

(707) 445-8121 [how do I get there?]

Urgent Care: Medical Concern

When Student Health is open:
Contact SHC at (707) 826-3146 or walk into the SHC [Hours]

When Student health is closed:

      • Schedule an on-demand telehealth visit with TimleyCare. You will meet with a medical provider by video conferencing (similar to zoom) or by phone.
      • If preferred, you can visit a local Emergency Department or Urgent Care Center:

Redwood Urgent Care
2440 23rd Street
Eureka  [how do I get there?]
Mon-Sun 9am-6:30pm (707) 298-2011

Urgent Care: Mental Health Concern

 When Student Health and/or Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) are open:

      • If you'd like to speak with a medical provider, you can contact Student Health at (707) 826-3146 or walk into the SHC [Hours]. One of our registered nursea will help you make an appropriate plan of care.
      • If you'd like to speak with a CAPS psychotherapist, you can contact CAPS at (707) 826-3236 or walk into CAPS and request to meet with the next available crisis therapist. [Hours]
      • If you'd like to take have an immediate "TalkNow" session with a psychotherapist through telehealth, you can access a session on your phone or computer through TimelyCare.  Most sessions will occur within 15 minutes of the request.

When Student Health and CAPS are closed:

      • Schedule an on-demand telecounseling visit with TimleyCare. You will meet with a mental health provider by video conferencing (similar to zoom) or by phone (based on your preferences).
      • You can call Humboldt County Mental Health division's 24 Hour Crisis Line at (707) 445-7715.  This division is part of Humboldt County Department of Health and Human Services, and provides acute care particularly in sutiations involving risk of suicide or harm to others, or inability to care for oneself due to mental health circumstances.  They also provide services for serious chronic mental health concerns.
        • They provide assessments, referrals and emergency services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
        • Location: 700 Wood Street, Eureka, CA
      • You can call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255.
      • You can visit a local Emergency Department.