Student Health & Counseling Services

Medical Services are available by appointment during business hours and are through telehealth or in-person as appropriate. 

The Counseling & Psych Services (CAPS) team are available for tele-mental health services during regular business hours. 

Medical: email or call 707.826.3146 

CAPS: email or call 707.826.3236 

If you need immediate telehealth services when we are closed (evenings, weekends, summer breaks):

Schedule with TimelyCare

For life threatening medical or mental health emergencies call 911


A warm welcome from our team!

Student Health and Wellbeing Services (SHWS), a fully accredited clinic, consists of Medical ServicesCounseling and Psychological Services, and Health Education.  Our licensed medical professionals include physicians, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, medical assistants, clinical laboratory scientists and a radiological technologist.  Our professional mental health providers include licensed psychologists, social workers, and marriage and family therapists, as well as therapists fulfilling professional training at our site.  Our front office staff is welcoming, knowledgeable and always happy to assist you with health records, appointment scheduling and any other questions.  In our Recreation & Wellness facility, our Health Education team and the Peer Health Educators focus on health-promoting fun activities for students. Together, our Student Health and Wellbeing Services team is dedicated to helping you overcome health barriers to academic success.

The SHWS Team  Welcomes You!






Finding us

Student Health and Counseling (SHC) is located to the left of Plaza Circle, a bit north of the Humboldt Library. CAPS also has a second location across campus at BSS 208. For assistance outside of our business hours:

  • For medical inquiries, call our after-hours nursing advice hotline (877) 256-3534.
  • For psychological support call the CAPS main line at (707) 826-3236 to speak with a counselor by phone. 
  • For community services, here are some resources that may be of help:  medical facilities and psychological resources.

Accessing our services

SHC is mainly funded by the required Health Services fee, paid as part of the tuition, and billed directly to student accounts. SHC services are provided to regularly enrolled students. Though most of our services at SHC are free, there are some medical services and supplies that may require a small fee.  A few examples of these are immunizations, TB skin tests, prescription and over-the-counter medicines, x-rays, laboratory work, and splints / braces. The medical services fee schedule is available here.

Humboldt is located in Humboldt County, a rural, medically-underserved area. Primary Care Providers (a role that must be filled by the physician designated by your insurance plan), as well as some medical and mental health specialists, are in short supply. It is very important that you and your family research available medical options, including psychiatry and psychological treatment, before coming to Humboldt so you may be sure your needs are met. It is also important to note that, because of our high volume of patient visits, we cannot provide care for long-term issues, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, chronic health (including psychiatric) problems or medication treatment for Adult Attention Deficit Disorder, nor can we qualify students for permanent disability.